Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Chambray Shorts

Continuing with my current insatiable need to create (don’t worry I’m sure it will subside), I made 2 pairs of little shorts for Isabelle yesterday.

“Shorts” you say, “Do you realise it’s still Winter here in NZ?”

Of course – but isn’t it nice to dream and prepare for the warmer months? And besides I wanted to join in with the 'shorts on the line' sew along.

IMG_4772

Left: Sailor shorts – a slight variation of the basic MADE pattern, Right: Puffed and Cuffed shortsTutorial from Cass Can Sew.

Would you believe that these shorts are made from a ginormous thrifted denim dress with shoulder pads (a remnant of the 80s or early 90s)? Yes, I know another clothing restyle! (I can’t believe I’m apologising for that!) I was planning on buying some chambray from Spotlight, but this was cheaper and allowed me to take some short cuts.

IMG_4746

(Before – ugly but with potential)

IMG_4775IMG_4774IMG_4773

For example, see that nifty looking line running down the legs of both pairs of shorts (most visible on the sailor shorts next to the buttons),this probably has a technical name I’m not sure (?) – anyway this was a feature on the dress so I just reused it. Also I was able to use the chest pockets as back pockets on the puffed and cuffed shorts.

I have the bottom of the dress still intact – any guesses of my plans for that?

IMG_4780

(My little model was not very obliging and preferred to run about and play on her bike.)

IMG_4779

I really love the vintage embroidery (from an old pillowcase) on the pockets of the puffed and cuffed shorts. Isn’t it sweet?

 

Joining in with…

Jen x

9 comments:

tartankiwi said...

Oh Jenny, these are gorgeous! Such a great use of the dress features and the vintage embroidery pockets are so so sweet- well done!

Sophie Slim said...

These are FABULOUS!!

I have an old chambray skirt that has been sitting in a pile foreverrr that i have been intending to cut up for my little girl. These are adorable. You may have just sparked some inspiration!!

Roslyn@Sew Delicious said...

I love them! They are so fantastic! I especially adore the vintage embroidery pocket on the puffed & cuffed shorts! Great job xxx

Cassandra said...

Oh my! Love, Love, Love them!!! Thanks so much for using and the link to my tutorial.
I have the biggest smile on my face right now :)
Those pockets are adorable!
I've definately got to share this post on my fb page :)
Thanks again x

Stella Rutherford said...

very cute shorts! Oooh, I might try sewing some shorts for my kiddos - surely summer isn't that far away?!

Kristin said...

these are gorgeous Jenny! I especially love the little Sailor ones. cute!

small + friendly said...

Wow! Terrific refashioning! I adore both pairs!

daisyandzelda said...

ooh I love vintage pillowcases!! You are very, very clever. :-)

Hootnz said...

I have just been catching up on your blog, and I just love all your recycling sewing.... these shorts are so sweet! and I love the manigans!