Wednesday, 1 August 2012

A cushion of many colours

PicMonkey Collage

Inspired by this pin and wanting to brighten up our otherwise neutral bedroom a bit, I set out to make a colourful geometric cushion.

It was fun. I pieced the triangles together with some left over batting on the back to make the front panel and quilted it. To make the back panel I used some of the leftover black gingham/ check fabric from Noah's shorts and made an envelope opening as per this super easy tutorial. 

If you’re new to quilting I totally recommend making something like this (but perhaps start with squares.)It’s obviously a lot less work than making a whole quilt and a great way to learn and practice.

IMG_4975IMG_4981

As you can see the cushion totally goes with some of the art work on our bedroom wall. Top and bottom left: 2 pieces of Dee*construction prettiness (including the little water colour of Noah’s knees for winning this); Right: 'Ever-after' print from Foundry.

The kids love the cushion. Whenever they get a chance they leap into our bed and cuddle up with it.

IMG_4952

IMG_4959

She is NOT allowed up on the window sill by the way! Cheeky!

Joining in with 'Our creative space' (and also here, here, here and here!) – so much inspiration!

Jen x

11 comments:

Kristin said...

oh, snap! I've been wanting to make a geometrical pillow for ages. Yours looks amazing, it's giving me itchy fingers for my sewing machine! (something that unfortunately has to wait a while longer...) xx

Miriam said...

lovely, love the triangles and how they make a carnival atmosphere!

flowerpress said...

Its beautiful, I love the triangle design, I've been meaning to have a go at that.

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

bah! i love it! i did the same and made a geometric quilt just for the end of our bed. here is the link

http://miranarnie.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/my-creative-space-seriously-i-surprised.html

by using heaps of bright scraps of fabrics it makes our neutral bed pop! But now i think a little pillow might just be required too! i love it. well done xx

FaerySarah said...

i love it! its awesome! its like a super bunting pillow!

BE said...

Your cushion is great! I'm inspired.

Ginx Craft said...

What a lovely pattern and colours. It makes me think of old-fashioned harlequins.

Bron said...

Very fancy indeed....lovely and colourful x

Love Sundays said...

I love this, great pattern, would like to do the same in a quilt.
Love your colours too.
Ren

Claire Jain said...

Yay! I love your triangle cushion :-) Thanks for sharing!

Miss Muggins said...

Gorgeous cushion. I love the colours and the design.