Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Hexies

This is my first adventure in ‘English Paper Piecing’ and I have to admit that I’m now rather addicted. Something that I was a bit intimidated by has now become something I can’t put down.

Case in point: I started this yesterday afternoon (I begrudgingly put it down to cook dinner), then resumed in front of the TV once the kids were in bed. Andrew arrived home late having been away for work and asked: “Are you making a soccer ball?”

Ha! Soccer ball!?!

IMG_6398IMG_6397

In case you were wondering the same thing, I’ll set you straight. I’m planning on it being a cot quilt for the new baby (I might have mentioned it in passing here.) I haven’t decided yet if the whole thing will be made of hexagons or if there will be any background/ borders… this will depend mostly on my patience/ whether I get bored of the project; but so far I’m loving it. And I’ve got another 6 months, right?

In case you’re like me and initially intimidated by this technique, I thought I’d so you some cool tips that the interwebs revealed with me…

IMG_6388

  1. This template (pictured above) is awesome, and free. I used the biggest size (1.5 inch sides) and printed it out on light card, you then fold twice and cut through all three layers – so you get 9 cards for the effort of cutting out 3. Yay!
  2. I used this tutorial (it’s the first in a three part series) of how to hand stitch hexagons – very helpful.
  3. Did you know that you can use freezer paper to cut out patterns? (See below). Just transfer your pattern to freezer paper, cut it out and iron it on your fabric – voila, you are able to cut out without the need for pins! And you can use your freezer paper pattern again and again.

IMG_6394

I made my freezer paper hexagons about 1 cm bigger all round than my cardboard ones (so the fabric could overlap the edges of the card of course.) I am wondering if I could have just used freezer paper all the way through, without the need for that second step?! Oh well, I saved time anyway – let me know if you’ve tried that technique and whether it worked for you!

IMG_6399

I’m looking forward to watching this mass of hexagons grow and grow (just as it’s intended recipient does!)

Joining in over at 'Our creative space' (and maybe a few other places.)

Jenny x

6 comments:

Roslyn@Sew Delicious said...

Really gorgeous Jen! I'm kind of intrigued by paper piecing and would love to give it a try... but for now I think I should just try and work my way through my to-so list! It is so long its crazy!

tartankiwi said...

Ooh, its looking great!!! Can't wait to see how this grows. It is a bit addictive isn't it!

Modern Day Mummying said...

I'm working on a Hexi quilt for my girl too and I've discovered an easier way than cutting out your own hexi templates... Buy them pre cut! A bag of 50 hexi templates set me back $6! Saves a heap of time and they're great quality and reusable!!

Also you can purchase a wonderful little glue stick by the name of Sewline Fabric Glue Pen and I tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread! It glues your fabric to the hexi templates and dries as you fold the fabric over!

Hoep these help you because they sure helped me! I learned about these on a craft retreat I went on. i stated out basting every piece with needle and thread.

Looking forward to seeing your progress...

Sophie xo

SIMPLESEW said...

I have been following the travellin pic EPP hop and its great, I think the FP is a longer process though, I have to go see the whole process but a 2 yr old is digging in my hexies.. LOL thanks for sharing

Barbara said...

Your quilt already looks amazing. Lovely colours. I've been thinking about making a hexagon cushion cover so thank you for all your wonderful tips.

Hootnz said...

I may have to get on board with this english paper piecing addiction.... I love your combo of colours :)